Report Types are the selections that are presented when you create a new report in Salesforce. They represent a view of the objects that you require to produce a report. For example you may have a report type “Students with Enrolments in Courses” which may include the student object, the courses object and the enrolment object. Some Report Types are standard and some are custom – the custom ones you may have created when adding a new object.
Standard Report types cannot be changed but the custom ones can. By editing these custom Report Types you can:
- Define which fields will be displayed by default when creating a new report (saves time having to drag over all the common fields you want).
- Hide any fields you don’t want users to see (obsolete fields for example).
- Add fields to other related objects via lookup.
- Change the folder structure for the field select menu (on left when selecting fields).
- Hide Report Types. (eg unused Report Types).
Read more about Report Types in this informative article by Brent Downey at AdminHero